facebook key-info join-us search parents pause online-payments arrow curriculum translate about-us children play newsletters-01

Interactive Bar

Google Services




School Logo

Water Mill

Primary School

Anything is possible

SEND Local Offer

What we can offer you and your child if they have SEND needs.



Water Mill Primary School

Schools offer for children and young people with SEND


At Water Mill we are meeting the needs of the children and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all children, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. 


How do I speak to the SENDCo if I have a concern about my child?



My name is Mrs Hoye and I am the schools SENDCo. I am responsible for coordinating the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to ensure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.


We ensure you are involved in your child’s learning and you are kept informed about the support your child is receiving, but if you have any concerns about your child’s progress please come and share these with us. If you wish to contact me I am usually available from Tuesday to Thursday. You can sometimes catch me in the playground before and after school, otherwise you can speak to the School Office to make an appointment. You can also email me on enquiry@watermill.bham.sch.uk if necessary. We are a welcoming school and hold regular termly meetings with parents so that you can find out how your child is doing in school.


How will the SENDCo ensure the necessary people know about my child’s needs?

The SENDCo, Mrs Hoye, will make sure that all necessary school staff are aware of your child’s needs and worries.  If your child has been identified with extra educational needs, an Individual Target Plan will be written by the class teacher and shared with you and your child. If your child has emotional or behavioural needs only, an Individual Behaviour Plan will be written with the teacher and shared with you and your child.


If your child has medical needs, either a ‘Care Plan’ or ‘Personal Alert Card’ will be written in conjunction with the school, the school Nurse and yourself.


All staff have access to a copy of these plans in the classroom. The plans identify how your child should be helped to succeed and make progress. All of these plans will be reviewed on a regular basis.


How will my child’s progress be reviewed and when will I be invited into school to discuss this?  Will my child be able to give their views?


If your child is identified as not making adequate progress, we will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and will listen to any concerns you may have too. We will:


  • Plan any additional support your child may need
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term and an assessment made in reading, writing, maths and science in order for the school to track children’s progress
  • Each term, the teachers assess your child’s achievements against continuum criteria and this informs ITP targets and is reviewed throughout the year
  • If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet working at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress.  The levels are called ‘P Levels’
  • At the end of each Key Stage, Years 2 and 6, all children are required to be formally assessed using Standards Assessment Tasks/Tests (SATs).  This is something the government requires all schools to do and is the results that are published nationally.
  • Children who receive a high level of support in school will have an Individual Target Plan which will be reviewed by their class teacher every term and the plan for the next term made.  Sometimes children don’t need an ITP any more because they have caught up with national benchmarks.
  • Sometimes we involve outside agencies, such as Pupil and School Support Service, the Educational Psychology Service and the Communication and Autism Team to support us in making our assessments and these agencies offer further advice.
  • The progress of children with an Education Health and Care plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education


If my child needs extra support, will I always be spoken to about this?


If school thinks your child needs extra support, we will always talk to you about this.


Your child’s teacher will talk to you about the progress that has been made each term.  We also operate an open door policy, and you can make an appointment to speak to your child’s teacher or the SENDCo at any point during the year.


If your child has an Individual Target Plan (ITP), these will be discussed and reviewed regularly with you and your child.


If your child has more complex needs, then we may review your child’s progress and needs through an Annual Review.  Depending on the context of these meetings, sometimes we invite the children to attend.  This approach very much values the views of the child, the parents as well as the school’s.


Will information that needs to be shared, be made clear and easy to understand?

At Water Mill we will ensure we make all the information we need to share with you clear and easy to understand.  If you read our Inclusion Policy this explains how we identify and assess children who we think might have special educational needs.


Our governing body has a governor who is responsible for special educational needs. Her name is Gail Joyce.


How will school work with me to identify my child’s needs?

We will work in partnership with you to identify the needs of your child and put in place the correct support, including family support if you need this.


The governing body has a duty to ensure that the school adheres to the new Code of Practice under the Children and Families Act 2014, the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 and the Equality Act 2010  This means that the school governors hold the Head teacher, Mrs Rudd and SENDCo, Mrs Hoye to account.


The governing body appoints a governor who is specifically responsible for special educational needs to ensure that the school and the SENDCo carry out their duties. This governor is Gail Joyce.

One of the key responsibilities of the governing body is to make sure that the school’s policy for children with special educational needs or disability (SEND) is published on the school website.  The information on the school website must be reviewed annually by the governing body.


The governing body also has a responsibility to ensure that appropriate safeguarding procedures are in place for all pupils, including those who are SEND.


How will the SENDCo ask for my permission to involve other professionals to work with my child?


Sometimes we may need to ask for your permission to involve other qualified professionals to support your child.


The governing body, through the SENDCo, ensures that other appropriate agencies are involved in meeting the needs of children with special educational needs. The school is committed to supporting children and young people with SEN and/or Disabilities and works alongside professionals at Access to Education to ensure best outcomes for this group. When other qualified professionals work with your child, permission is granted and the member of the outside agency is introduced. The content of the meetings is confidential and is only shared with parents and the Senior Management Team and, depending on the information, your child’s class teacher.  Please speak to Mrs Hoye if you require any further information.


Gail Joyce, the SEND governor, meets regularly with the SENDCo.  The SENDCo reports regularly to the governing body regarding the number of pupils and their additional needs.  The governing body regularly reviews both policy and the information published on the website to ensure it is up-to-date, parent and pupil friendly and in line with government policy and the Code of Practice.


How will I be involved in all decisions and have my views listened to?


We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know how they are doing at home and we can tell you about how they are doing in school.  We hope this will make sure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.


Your child’s class teacher and/or Mrs Hoye (SENDCo) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.  All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.


Mrs Hoye will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.


A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


How will my child be involved in decisions about their learning?


If your child has an ITP, they will be involved in reviewing their progress against the targets.  This happens termly.


We regularly hold pupil conversations to discuss what they have been learning in class and what they think their strengths and weaknesses are.


If your child has more complex needs, then we may review your child’s progress and needs through an Annual Review.  Depending on the context of these meetings, sometimes we invite the children to attend.  This approach very much values the views of the child, the parents as well as the school’s.


How will I be given support in contacting organisations who can give me advice and support?


We will be happy to give you contact details for organisations who can give advice and support for you and your child.  The outside agencies we have access to are:


  • Access to Education – Pupil and School Support
  • Access to Education – Educational Psychology Service
  • Access to Education – Communication and Autism Team
  • Zoe Lynch – Attendance and Family Consultant


Available NHS services include:


  • Pediatricians
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Disability Service – Victoria Outreach
  • School Nurse
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Visual Impairment Service


 Please speak to Mrs Hoye if you would like any other contact details.


What support will be put in place when my child moves classes and from/to a different setting?


We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


Arriving from a Nursery setting in to Reception:


  • We will liaise with the SENDCo at the Nursery schools to find out as much information as possible about your child’s needs.  This will include any targets and paperwork or agencies which might have been involved in supporting your child.
  • We have individual parents meetings in September where you can share information about your child’s interests, likes and dislikes.


When moving classes in school:


  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.  All ITPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If staff feel your child will be helped by a ‘Transition Book’, or similar, to support them moving on, then this will be made for them.


If your child is moving to another school:


  • We will contact the schools SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements of support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


In Year 6:


  • Mrs Hoye will ensure that all information regarding your child’s special educational needs are passed on to the new SENDCo.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.  This will sometimes be included in their ITP targets, if appropriate.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases, staff from the new school will visit your child at Water Mill.
  • We will create a ‘Pupil Profile’ for your child to take with them to their new school.  This will help new staff gain an understanding of your child’s needs.


How will my school ensure that parents and children with additional needs are fully included in all school activities?


The school curriculum includes trips out to enrich the experiences children have.  We will always try to make sure that children with additional needs and their families are able to take part fully in school trips and social events.  Our risk assessments are inclusive of all children with reasonable adjustments and one to one adult support is provided, should this be required.  Children with additional needs can also usually participate in after school clubs.  You just have to apply!  Parents are always consulted regarding specific needs, including those children with medical needs, so that all children have a safe and enjoyable experience.


All children participate in their class assemblies and other performances, such as musical performances.


When we have outside theatre companies in to perform, the additional needs of pupils are considered.


Whenever possible, all children join in, unless participation, especially around noise level, may cause the child unnecessary distress and anxiety.  We will provide these children with alternative provision.


How will my school provide good teaching for my child and extra support when needed?


Water Mill School uses a range of strategies to monitor the progress of children and to ensure that good teaching is in place for all pupils.  We provide good teaching for your child and extra support when needed.  We do this through:


  • Class teachers planning lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, which will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained staff adapting the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies being used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching being adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Classroom observations and learning walks, including monitoring the learning environment.
  • Tracking your child’s progress and through termly pupil progress meetings with senior staff.
  • Termly book scrutiny for all classes and constructive feedback to teachers.


How are staff trained to support the needs of my child?


All school staff receives appropriate training so they have the knowledge and confidence to support the children’s needs.  At Water Mill we hold regular staff and teaching assistant meetings.  These are used to ensure staff have up-to-date knowledge to teach children of all abilities.  Sometimes training is run by specialists, for example: the NHS schools nurse runs Epipen training, or training by a member of the Communication and Autism Team.


At Water Mill we have a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND.  This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism and Speech and Language difficulties.


Individual teachers and teaching assistants attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class or groups, for example: Communication and Autism Team.


How is work differentiated at the right level to make sure my child makes good progress?


Teaching and support staff will accurately assess the level children are working at and differentiate the curriculum accordingly.


We use a range of criteria and evidence to help us identify the level children are working at.  This might include:


  • Checking the words children can read and spell independently
  • Moderating writing together
  • Making observations
  • Use of tests, where appropriate


This helps teachers to plan work for all children to make progress.  The work and support will be different for different groups of children.  We use the following to support children with additional needs to become independent learners:


  • Interventions
  • One to one or group support
  • Adapted tasks and resources


What types of learning resources are available for my child?


A range of resources are available in all learning areas to support learning for children operating at different levels.  These are identified on children’s Individual Target Plans.  Specific resources for some children are held in their classrooms or in the Quiet Room.


  • We use ‘real books’ which the children use during group reading activities.  To encourage reluctant readers we also have a range of Jolly Phonics, Oxford Reading Tree and Project X books for children to use.
  • We have a range of Computing equipment including laptops, iPads, cameras and recording equipment to support children in recording their work in different ways across the school environment.
  • Children are encouraged to talk with partners or in small groups to develop their ideas, reason and articulate before recording them.
  • Positions of tables and chairs are always considered for children with physical, hearing or sight impairment.


What resources does the school offer if my child has significant social and or communication needs?


Where necessary, resources are available to support the learning of children who have significant social and/or communication needs.


We sometimes use visual timetables, mostly individual but sometimes whole class, so that children understand the bigger picture. This supports children who have difficulty with changes in routine.


We work closely with the Communication and Autism Team and members of the team visit to observe, assess and offer advice on ways to support children with autism.


What support is available if my child needs support with managing behaviour or dealing with social situations?


At Water Mill we provide support for children if they need support with managing their own behaviour and/or to build up skills and confidence in dealing with social situations.


We run social skills groups across the school to support children who can find social situations difficult.


We have sanctions and rewards, as set out in our Behaviour Policy to encourage children to make the right choices. This is consistent across the school.


Contact Us

Water Mill Primary School Water Mill Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 6TS
View Us On Google Maps